Wednesday, June 10, 2009

CD Review - Diane Birch Bible Belt



One2One Network recently gave me the opportunity to review the new CD by Diane Birch, Bible Belt. Her debut CD was just released on June 2nd. You may remember me blogging about her a few weeks ago when her single, Rise Up, was the featured free single of the week on ITunes.

Diane Birch Bio:
"For singer-songwriter Diane Birch, music was a refuge. Although Diane was born in Michigan, her childhood was spent on the move as the daughter of a preacher, living between Zimbabwe, South Africa and Australia, before her parents finally settled in Portland, Oregon. When she was in her early teens, Diane absorbed a unique and cosmopolitan perspective on life that shines through her music and makes a simple categorization of it impossible.

The result? Diane Birch sounds like an old favorite, with all the sparkle and magic of a breakthrough talent. People says she sounds like a combination of early Carole King, Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks, with a little Joss Stone and Cat Power mixed in. Bible Belt is only her first record, but it’s one of the most accomplished albums you’ll hear all year. From the opening track “Fire Escape” to the closing “Magic View,” Diane’s stunning voice is mesmerizing.

Written entirely by Diane, Bible Belt was recorded in New York City and New Orleans with an impressive team of Grammy-winning producers: S-Curve Records founder Steve Greenberg, soul legend Betty Wright and Mike Mangini, in their first project together since producing Joss Stone’s first albums."


Link to MP3 of ‘Fire Escape’

Myspace


I listened to the CD a few times from beginning to end. Then, I went back and picked out my favorites and gave them another listen. Although this is not the typical kind of music I would seek out, I must say that I really like it! It's very rare that I find a CD that I can truly say I enjoy each and every song. But, with this one, I can. If I had to pick favorites, I would choose: Don't Wait Up, Mirror Mirror, Fools, and Ariel. I've found myself playing those songs the most and singing right along. Diane is both an amazing singer and songwriter. Her voice is beautiful - sultry, soulful, even a little folksy. And, I especially love the piano in her songs. If you enjoy gospel, blues, folk music, or even soft pop, I think you will like Bible Belt.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Great review. I'll have to give her a try.